The Museum
Contact Us
Stanley History
Photo Galleries
Recent History
Order the Books
Topic Index
Site Index
Related Links

1850 to 1900

Up Civil War Years 1850 to 1900 Late 19th Century

(1860-1870) The Civil War Years
And Development Adjoining the Railroad

The railroad did, indeed, reach the Stanley Creek area in 1860; the newspapers posted a schedule on 6 December 1860 stating that trains would be running as far as Brevard's.

Construction of the Wilmington , Charlotte and Rutherford Railroad was done in two phases. Work was started at Wilmington to connect to Charlotte. At the same time work began at Charlotte to connect to Rutherfordton. The portion of the railroad that entered the Brevard property began in Charlotte and was not yet connected to Wilmington.

In the Stanley Creek area a railroad depot was built and named Brevard's Station in recognition of the Brevard family who owned a large portion of the surrounding land. Brevard Station was designated as Depot No. 13, according to Robert Cope's transcript on the History of Gaston County. W. H. Abernathy was agent at Brevard's Depot on 14 December 1864.

On 1 June 1861 the Post Office was moved from Valentine Derr's home on Stanley Creek to Brevard's Station. Valentine Derr continued as Postmaster until 24 July 1866 at which time Alexander Rankin Rutledge became the Postmaster.

For several months construction of the railroad was halted making the end of the line Brevard's Station. At this temporary end of the line a wye had been constructed for a train turn around.

During the months that construction of the railroad was delayed hacks or horse drawn carriages were provided for travelers to Lincolnton or surrounding areas. The railroad was completed to Lincolnton the next April (1861).

The early settlers of land along the Railroad in the area of Brevard's Station were: Robeson L.and Adeline Summerow McLurd, who ran a Mercantile Store and at one time the Post Office; Richard Horton, who later sold and moved to Garibaldi Station; August and Jeanette Nantz Farley, Jacob Carpenter, Reese M. and Juetta Morris Broome, (he was a blacksmith), Adolphus Hovis; Hugh T. Rhyne; John Buck and Mary Smith, (he was a farmer); Charles J.l Peterson, a blacksmith; William Richards, a merchant, miner and distiller; Israel R. Stroup, farmer; and Solomon Stroup, a farmer.


By the beginning of the Civil War the State of North Carolina had 13 different railroads on which approximately 147 locomotives operated. Seven of these locomotives, reaching breathtaking speeds of from 8 to 12 miles per hour, were assigned to the Wilmington Charlotte and Rutherford Railroad.

The Wilmington to Charlotte stretch of the railroad was stopped in 1861 after reaching Rockingham. The beginning of the Civil War brought a halt to further construction of the railroad, with exception of a stretch of road leading from Lincolnton to Cherryville which was completed in November 1862.

Previously there had been talk of secession of the Southern States from the Union. In 1860 an election for President of the United States was held and no one in Gaston County, Stanley Creek included, voted for Abraham Lincoln.

After Lincoln's win, talk of secession became serious and eventually North Carolina seceded from the union.

The Civil War began and many men from North Carolina went away to war. The first volunteers for the Confederacy from Gaston County, around 60 in number, began enlisting at the Dallas Court House on 1 May 1861, three weeks before the 20 May 1861 vote for North Carolina's secession from the Union. These men were enlisted in Company M. 6th Regular Volunteers under the leadership of Captain B. F. Briggs. A large cheering crowd surrounded Brevard's Station to see the volunteers off to war. After reaching Raleigh, NC on 17 June 1861 they joined other North Carolina Volunteers and became part of the 16th N.C. Regiment. Stanley Creek men were included in that number. The country was engaged in war from 13 April, 1861 to 9 April, 1865.

During the Civil War years the Brevard's Station was a rallying point for all area men who were leaving for the war. After being sworn into service at the courthouse in Dallas, newly enlisted men would travel by foot to Brevard's Station and await the train to take them to "Instruction Camps." It has been reported that the station was used as a commissary for the mustering soldiers. They would camp around the station and artifacts found indicate that some maneuvers took place around the 1799 Rhyne home and the William Rankin home. It is believed that they also mustered and possibly camped at the Methodist Episcopal Campground. They would go on to Charlotte and then Raleigh before traveling to the battle lines. It is said that a crowd of noisy people gathered around the station to see the first troops depart.

In the first years of the war cost of merchandise was very high in the price standards of pre-war 1861. Coffee was selling at 50 cents per pound, sugar was 25 cents per pound. Shoes cost $2.50 per pair. Calico for making clothes was 25 cents per yard. By 1863 prices had risen still higher. Flour worth $15 per 100 pounds, salt worth $35 per 50 pounds, wheat $6 a bushel and corn $3 a bushel. Cotton yarn was selling for $20 for five pounds and shirt material $2 per yard. Groceries and merchandise had risen to such an exorbitant price that purchase was out of the question.

By 1864 all able bodied men up to 45 years of age were requested to join the Confederacy as prospects for an end to war could not be foreseen. Provisions were scarce. All purchases were made with Confederate money as the value of gold and silver had leaped to such high levels that they were no longer used as currency. Cotton cards were worth $50 a pair, cotton cloth $5 per yard and woolen jeans about $12 a yard. Wheat was worth $12 a bushel and pork $1.75 per pound. Charges for a night's lodging was $10 - $15. Spun yarn sold at $40 per 5 pounds. As well as being scarce, provisions had to be run past blockades and ran the risk of being confiscated by the enemy.

horizontal rule

The "Stonewall Jackson" Connection

Over on the Plank Road, just past the Gaston County line into Lincoln County was the Rev. Robert Hall Morrison plantation called Cottage Home. Rev. Morrison, the first President of Davidson College, was married to Mary Graham, daughter of General Joseph Graham. The couple had four sons and six daughters. Their oldest child was a daughter, Isabella S., who was married to the military Major Daniel Hill. The five other daughters were Harriett Abigail who married "James P. lrwin and lived in Charlotte; Eugenia E., who married General Rufus Barringer; Susan W. who married Alphonso C. Avery on 27 February 1861; Laura P. who married James Edmunds Brown; and the other named Mary Anna.

The sons of Robert Hall and Mary Graham Morrison were William W. Morrison; Joseph Graham Morrison, who married Jennie Davis, was named for his maternal grandfather, and inherited the family home place, Cottage Home; Robert Hall Morrison, Jr. who married Lucy Reid; and Alfred James Morrison who married Portia Atkinson.

Once when Anna was visiting her older sister, Isabella Hill, in Lexington, Virginia, she met a military man named Thomas Jonathon Jackson. Mr. Jackson was quite taken with Miss Morrison. However, Anna returned to Cottage Home and Mr. Jackson later married Miss Elinor Junkin.

Several years later, after Mr. Jackson's wife, Ellie had died, he began to remember Anna Morrison whom he had met years before. They then began corresponding and during the Christmas holidays of 1856, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson traveled to Cottage Home in Lincoln County and asked for the hand of Anna Morrison in marriage. At that time Major Jackson was a professor at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington.

Mary Anna Morrison and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson were married at Cottage Home on 16 July 1857. They made their home in Lexington, VA. and on 28 February 1858 Anna gave birth to a daughter named Mary Graham Jackson. This child lived only until the following May.

Another daughter was born to Anna and Stonewall Jackson on 23 November 1861. She was named Julia. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was wounded, inadvertently by his own men, at the Battle of Chancellorsville and died on 10 May 1863.

Mary Anna Morrison Jackson and her daughter Julia moved back to Cottage Home to live with her parents. Several years later Julia, married Willie Christian and had two children, a daughter, Julia, and a son Jackson. Anna's daughter, Julia, died when only a young mother, leaving Anna to raise the grandchildren, Julia and Jackson Christian.

The granddaughter of Stonewall and Anna Jackson, Julia Christian married E. R. Preston , lived to be 104 years of age, and died in 1991.

Anna Morrison Jackson moved to Charlotte after the death of her father, but continued to visit Cottage Home and the Stanley area.

Up Civil War Years 1850 to 1900 Late 19th Century

The Museum ] Contact Us ] Stanley History ] Photo Galleries ] Citizens ] Recollections ] Schools ] Churches ] Community ] Recent History ] Order the Books ] Topic Index ] Site Index ] Search ] Acknowledgments ] Related Links ] Guestbook ]










Home Up Next